Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Gift of Flight

This piece was written on July 22, 2009

The diversity to be found inside an airport is humorous to say the least. I watch five college students chatting about their summer, all flying home to Seattle for the new semester. An older woman at the gate check-in line. Another line boarding the plane. I find it somehow sad that in all likelihood, all of these people take for granted their flights. The history behind which seems tiny in comparison to the feat itself.

From melting wings to the Orville brothers, from dying pilots to dying civilians. Still, all these people chat away as if their accomplishing flight is nothing. Even I am guilty of forgetting, I must admit, I've flown every summer since I was five. A grandiose thirteen years in the air. Only four of those years have I known the true importance and significance of flight. This shall be my first flight where I feel the true respect for this feat that it deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment